“Ok ok, keep an open-mind” I told myself! When you have tried online dating, blind dates and speed dating, what other options do you have? You can leave it up to faith by hoping you will meet someone when you least expect it but if you want to take a more proactive approach, I think at this point you are basically left with two options:
- Join a singles cruise; or,
- Participate in a local Singles Event.
A friend of mine mentioned she was attending a Singles Mixer and so that encouraged me to tag along with her.. You never know where you can meet someone special after all!
Week #41 Challenge: Attend the Early Christmas Singles Party!
What’s a Singles mixer? Well it’s essentially a gathering of singles from across the city in one specific location, in this case at Hooleys on Elgin! That’s about the extent of what I knew and figured it could be worth attending! I was under the impression that the event had a cost but it turns out it was free for the ladies.
The evening unraveled in an interesting way! I started seeing someone a week prior to the event which obviously made things a bit awkward but I had made plans with my friend and I was going to follow through! Here are things you should keep in mind about mixers:
1) Art of conversation: this event encourages you to interact with as many guests as you can! If you enjoy meeting new people this is a great option since you can easily start a conversation with anyone! As you arrived, you were handed game sheets that were helpful with breaking the ice and had a great list of topics! I was impressed to see how well these games worked. By playing you also increased your chances of winning prizes at the end! I sneaked out of the event before the prizes were drawn but my friend actually won the grand prize, two tickets to the Sens Game!!
2) Attendees: A group of around 100 people showed up I believe. This event was not targeted to any specific age group. There were adults of all ages from 20s up to 50s! I was a bit surprised by this and felt slightly uneasy as I was afraid I may be sending the wrong message! Maybe I was overanalyzing?!
3) Think Outside The Box: Don’t limit yourself! I spent a lot of time talking with the mixer participants but eventually I made my way to a separate location in the building. There I met really fun people who worked at the pub and even just guests sitting at the bar! I found those talks refreshing since they were playful rather than in-depth like the ones in the mixer! I suggest you explore your surroundings as you never know where you may meet a match!
Would I recommend this event? Yes and no! If you enjoy being social, this is a great way to meet new people! The reason I wouldn’t do this again is because I found it rather draining really! Even though I wasn’t there to look, I eventually lost the ability to focus during conversations and just felt like I would rather be doing something, anything else! You can’t predict who will attend the event but I feel that your odds are actually better online where you can narrow down your love interests based on certain criterias!
Visit the Meetup website for upcoming singles events!
All in all, if you are in the mood to socialize this is a great activity but if not I would stick to going out for coffee with a friend or… just staying at home to watch Christmas movies by the fireplace while you munch on a piece, OK FINE piecesss, of your newly built Gingerbread House!
Talk to you guys soon xo