Finding great gluten-free bread, cakes, pies and more in Ottawa is no easy task. If you are, or have ever had to eat solely gluten-free foods, you understand how limited your options are to this day.
Is gluten-free just a trend? Not at all! The reason most people resort to gluten-free items is simply because it aids your body with your overall digestion.
Whether you maintain a gluten-free diet for medical reasons or simply by choice the obstacle remains:
Where can I find delicious and affordable gluten-free food in Ottawa?!
Week # 57 – Try Pete’s Gluten Free Products!
As I was searching, I came upon Pete’s Gluten Free which is located in Ottawa. After touching base with the owner, Pete, I scheduled to come in one night to get a feel for this local business!
What is unique about Pete’s Gluten Free?
- It’s a bakery that is certified gluten-free, nut-free and peanut-free.
- The base of all their products is a S.M.A.R.T. flour made of Sorghum, Millet, Arrowroot, Brown Rice and Tapioca. It’s a unique blend developed by hollistic nutritionists.
- It took 6 months and 600 batches to develop their bread line. That is dedication right there!
- All of Pete’s Gluten Free items are free of GMOs and are created to include plenty of protein, fiber and grains.
- You get comfort in knowing that each recipe was created to reduce risks of inflammation and has health benefits for everyone!
What items do they make?
- Pizza crusts
- Breads (pumpernickel, quinoa, sandwich, buns, etc.)
- Desserts (including cookies, cupcakes, pies, etc.)
- Meat Pies
- Custom Cakes
- S.M.A.R.T flour blend bags
- and more..
Coming soon: pies and scones in 5 different flavours (keep an eye in the freezer isle)!
Where can I purchase these?
I was under the impression that most of their products were sold at their new facility but many local businesses actually carry Pete’s Gluten Free line. They can be found at Farm Boy, Independent Grocers and various Natural food stores – list of retailers here!
*For the freshest batches, keep in mind that Tuesdays and Fridays are the days deliveries are made in store!
If you prefer online shopping, products are available for purchase on Pete’s Gluten Free order page.
Can’t find a specific product or looking for custom orders? Simply contact Pete’s Gluten Free: info@PetesGlutenFree.com. He will be happy to help!
Pete’s Gluten Free location
They recently left the Ottawa Market and moved to:
5390 Canotek Road – unit 20, Gloucester ON, K1J 1H8
Product testing Time
On Friday, I stopped by Farm Boy to pick-up a fresh loaf of bread! I purchased Pete’s Gluten Free Sandwich bread to make.. oh you guessed it: sandwiches!
I kept the it simple home cooked chicken breasts, Pete’s Gluten Free sandwich bread (toasted), lettuce, mayonnaise, a dash of salt & pepper with a side of steamed vegetables!
Honestly this bread was really really good! Something about the density and texture made it so enjoyable, unlike most other gluten-free breads I’ve tried!
Cost? It’s a bit pricey, at $6.99 a loaf, but it’s an average price tag in the gluten-free world. You can freeze it too, so you don’t waste a single slice!
Overall, I would say my first experience with Pete’s Gluten Free was a success, looking forward to trying more… especially those pies once they are released!!